A zero waste blog. Join me on my journey as I reduce my waste and move towards a simple, vegan and zero waste lifestyle.

Vegan Banana Bread // Plastic Free July

on
Monday 16 July 2018
Banana bread is one of those great cakes that you can make with ingredients from your cupboard and now I can bulk buy vegan chocolate chips, the recipe is zero waste too. It's also a great way to use up any bananas that are too ripe too eat so you don't end up with food waste.

I made this cake last night and as you can see from the photo I've already eaten about a third of it which can only be a sign that it tastes good. It's really quick and easy to make and you don't need any fancy food processors or equipment.

What ingredients do I need?

  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1/4 cup of non-dairy milk (I used almond, but anything will work)
  • 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil 
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups wholewheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp allspice 
  • sprinkle of salt
  • 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips (feel free to add more if you like it really chocolatey) 
  • 1/4 cup of non-dairy butter
  • Sweet sauce or spread of your choice for a topping (I used my favourite Cashew Caramello one from Almighty Foods)

How do I make it?

  • Set the oven to 180 degree
  • Mix the apple cider vinegar and non-dairy milk in a small bowl and put to the side.
  • Mash the bananas in a large bowl.
  • Add maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract to the bowl with the banana and mix together.
  • Add the small bowl of milk/ACV to the banana mixture.
  • Sift in the flour and add the baking powder, spices and salt.
  • Fold the mixture together (but try not to over mix).
  • Add the chocolate chips and fold in (again, don't over mix it)
  • Line the baking tin with butter
  • Add the mixture to the tin and place in the oven
  • The banana bread should take approximately an hour to bake. I'd recommend checking around 50 minutes mark just to make sure it's not burning (as all ovens are different).
  • Remove the cake from the baking tin and add topping when cool.
Happy baking!! Let me know in the comments if there's any zero waste cakes that you enjoy making.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment